Welcome to World Footy News Sunday, August 01 2021 @ 10:30 pm ACST

AFL community fundraising from NAB Cup heading to flood affected clubs

  • Friday, March 11 2011 @ 07:29 am ACDT
  • Contributed by:
  • Views: 2,087
General News Community football clubs affected by the recent floods in Queensland and Victoria will receive $325,000 to help them rebuild following fundraising activities at the 2011 NAB Cup. The funds raised from the NAB Cup bring to nearly $1 million the contribution from AFL supporters, the AFL Players’ Association, AFL clubs and the AFL to help the rebuilding efforts after one of Australia’s worst natural disasters.

A 15 per cent contribution from the gate receipts for all round one matches of the NAB Cup (about $3 per adult ticket) went towards supporting community football clubs affected by the floods.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou thanked the 131,000 people who attended the first round of the NAB Cup to support flood relief, as well as those who took part in other activities including the celebrity matches at half time.“I’m very proud of the way everyone involved with Australian football has responded following the floods in Queensland and Victoria. Like they did after the 2009 Victorian bushfires, they quickly united and showed tremendous generosity and a willingness to help those in need,” he said.

"In so many regions and communities across our country, sporting facilities are the hub of activity within the region and an integral part of daily life. It is vital for people they are not isolated from each other and are able to resume their daily activities and continue with their lives.”

“It was our combined view, after the initial contribution to the Flood Relief Appeal, that it was most important for football to be able to contribute to the rebuild of sporting facilities and ensure that clubs were again functioning, so that a sense of normality can return to affected areas as quickly as possible.”

About 100 representatives from two of the Victorian community football clubs affected by the floods, Charlton and Newbridge, have accepted an invitation from the AFL to travel by bus to the NAB Cup Grand Final between Collingwood and Essendon at Etihad Stadium tomorrow night.

They will form a guard of honour for the Collingwood and Essendon players when they enter the arena. The president of Newbridge FNC Ron Trimble and the president of Charlton FNC Bernie Laffin will also help deliver the NAB Cup onto the arena before the match.

“Community has been a strong theme of our pre-season, both through the NAB Cup and NAB Challenge series. We’re thrilled Charlton and Newbridge could take part in the pre-match activities and we wish them all the best for the year ahead.” Mr Demetriou said.

Mr Demetriou said the AFL was delighted with this year’s NAB Cup. Total attendance after round 3 was 211,038 , an increase of 14 per cent on 2010. TV ratings are also up by 6 per cent compared to the same time last year.